Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Mr. A Has a Christmas Program

DSC_9665

About two weeks ago (on a Tuesday), Mr. A came home with a piece of paper that said: "Your child will be an innkeeper in the school's Christmas program. Please gather a costume together. It would be helpful if you could have this by the dress rehearsal on Thursday." Come again? You want me to throw together a costume in one day? With my schedule?

DSC_9673

He didn't make it for the dress rehearsal. I had to stop by Asda (UK equivalent of WalMart) on my way home from class to pick up a dressing gown for him. I grabbed a small all-white one from the women's section, figuring I could use it afterward. They didn't have any plain ones in the little sections.

DSC_9684

The day of his first performance, he came home and said, "The kids laughed at me when I put on my costume." It was more stated, and I could tell he wasn't REALLY upset by it. I kind of fluffed his hair and said they were probably laughing because he looked silly wearing a robe at school, but it probably wasn't malicious, and sometimes we can't help but laugh at things.

DSC_9685

The night of his performance (the following day), M set off with Mr. A early, because he had to be there 30 minutes before the show started. I stayed with Mini-Minion, intending to catch the bus and get there about 10 minutes early. Stupid, stupid 419. Freaking stupid 419. I wasn't joking when I said it was the bane of my existence. I HATE that bus. It didn't show up. It finally arrived AFTER Mr. A's performance started. There was another 419 directly behind it (the one that was on time). I wanted to scream.

DSC_9693

I honestly can't tell you what the performance was about. It was obviously supposed to be the story of Jesus' birth, but. . .yeah. I don't even know what was going on. The kids were cute, though! But they were doing all these things. . .and I can't even tell you what these "things" were. It was just the most inventive retelling ever.

DSC_9728

Oh, Mr. A. . .right at the end of the program, I got a good look at Mr. A standing up. And then I realized that not only was the women's small WAAAAY to big for him (hilariously big), but it had HEARTS all over it. I wanted to fall through the floorboards for him. As it was, I laughed. And he caught me laughing. He knew. Not only did I fail to get him his costume in time for the dress rehearsal and come way late to his show, but I also dressed him in a woman's dressing gown with hearts all over it. Parenting fail.

DSC_9735

I talked to M later, and said, "Oh my God. You do realize his robe has hearts all over it?" M said, "Yeeah. I saw that. It's probably why the other kids were laughing at him."

DSC_9739

Probably. And this is just another thing to add to the list for his eventual therapist to deal with, I'm sure.

DSC_9741
The moment I was caught laughing.

But then again, maybe not. Because I don't know if I've mentioned this yet or not, but I have one of the coolest kids ever born. What I did to deserve him, I don't know. But he is insanely awesome, and I'm so lucky he's mine.

DSC_9743
But Mr. A is SO cool, he loves me anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Only a REAL hardcore innkeeper can rock the hearts all biblical-style. Love Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about that other kid with the polka-dot robe thingy??? That's way more obnoxious, and the hearts just mean his mommy loves him that much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he looks great, but I happen to like hearts. ;)

    ReplyDelete