Monday, June 28, 2010

This is why you have to just close your eyes and jump





Sometimes when I really start to question my own sanity (because I do think some weird things), nights like tonight are very reassuring. Because tonight, I'm actually a little nervous. So far, I've just sort of blazed through most of this stuff, contacting housing agents and shipping companies and consulates, without getting truly nervous. It's all just a part of the system.

But tonight, I went over my packing list and realized, I have almost nothing to pack. Everything else that's going will go into the boxes maybe 2 days before we ship them. I need to seal up the photos/documents box, the books and pack the Christmas ornaments. But that's it.


So what do I do with myself? I obsess. I try to control an uncontrollable situation. I assess how much we're going to pay in UK taxes (answer: more than we'll pay in the US). I get all my little ducks in a row for registering as self-employed. I create my landlord reference forms. I fret about all these stupid little things that really make no difference in the end.

I just realized while I was typing this that there are three major, major areas that I don't even give a second thought to: actually leaving (as in, the flight), getting the right visas/passports (still can't talk about that yet, although I will go into all the gory details soon), and school. Oh, right. School. The whole purpose of going. And ironically, the one thing I don't obsess over and stress out about. Maybe that will change a few weeks before registration.

And now I can go to sleep without stressing anymore, because if the big stuff will work out ok in the end, the small stuff will, too.

Excuse the pics. They're a few weeks old at this point. They're pre-naughty Mini Minion bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment