Monday, October 5, 2009

Learning about fish and Latin

How sad. My post was just deleted. Sigh.

It was really nice out today, so I let Mr. A do his science and reading outside. I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not. He was just very distracted by Miss A, who insisted on rolling golf balls on our table, trying to climb into the pond, and climbing over the mini fence to the No-Man Zone of the wood pile (aka Land of a Thousand Black Widows). The thing about Mr. A is, none of this was really any of his concern. I spent my time chasing after her. But he makes it his concern. I guess if I'm being honest, this would happen no matter where we were. He looks very studious here.



Finally, Miss A found a nice spot behind some plants to "veg" out for a bit. She's so strange sometimes. But her time behind the plants did her some good, because when she reemerged 5 or so minutes later, she was much calmer.


Today, Mr. A learned about fish. Most of the lesson went really well, but when I got to talking about the gills, I thought we could use something more visual. So I took him to the pet store where he could some fish up close because the goldfish in our pond was hiding at the moment. The cool thing about the pet store we went to is that it has a little shark.



Miss A also enjoyed the pet store, but she was more interested in the kitties they had for adoption. She also managed to squeeze her hand into a parrot cage. Sigh again. Although fish are usually boring unless you've got a reason for looking at them, she actually wasn't too disinterested.


The other great thing about the fish section in the pet store is you can almost always see the fish from Finding Nemo, which the kids always think is the coolest thing in the world. It's always one of the first things Mr. A points out. At any rate, the pet store trip opened up a discussion about why sharks are different from other fish, how not everything in the ocean is a fish, etc.


When we got home, it was time for his first Latin lesson. He did well, although I think he got really confused in the beginning. Learning a foreign language is awesome for gaining a better understanding of English, too, and I think all this talk of English parts of speech vs. Latin parts of speech made him a little goofy in the head for awhile. But he got the hang of it finally. I do like the book I got for him. I think it'll do exactly what we need it to do this year.

On the home front, P90X starts back up tonight (ugh!). M picked up the new Wii Fit game, and it doesn't seem like it's going to do much. But he seems to like it. So he can use it. As for me, I think I'll stick to P90X. I think it'll be a little more effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment