Thursday, October 15, 2009

Spontaneity is fun

After we picked R up from school and dropped him off at work, I decided we ought to do something. I was initially going to take the kids to the museum, because they've got this great hands-on art exhibit, as well as a brain teaser exhibit. But I knew Miss A was already a tiny bit cranky and would be due to eat fairly soon.

So we drove almost to Yosemite. It was fun. Our first stop was Coarsegold. I took the kids to a restaurant for grilled cheese sandwiches and milkshakes, which Mr. A declared were the best he'd ever tasted (I'm pretty sure it was handmade ice cream). I don't think I've ever taken the kids out to a real restaurant by myself, which is too bad.


I whipped out the Nikon at the restaurant, ready to document the entire trip and take beautiful pictures of the kids with the fall foliage and the pumpkins, but my battery was dead. And this thing doesn't run on double As. It takes a lithium ion. Blah! M & A's adventures last night killed the battery, and M forgot to charge it. Lesson learned. Now I'll check before I leave the house. Mr. A said, "Oh yeah. I forgot the battery was dead." Thanks, kiddo. So I was stuck taking pictures on my phone camera. That explains the lack of pictures and the poor quality of the ones I got.

Mr. A wanted SO badly to go gold panning, but it was shut down for the day. I think it's only open on the weekends. Bummer.

We walked around the historic village a little bit, but there wasn't a lot for the kids to do. I think Mr. A would have been ok with it, but Miss A was sleepy, so she wasn't on her best behavior. It was absolutely gorgeous up there. The temperature was in the low 70s, so it truly was the perfect day.

The kids beelined it for the little teepee that's at the entrance to the historic village. There are little pumpkins growing around it on the vine for the season. It was seriously too cute. The teepee was damaged (it was ripped on the other side), which is too bad, but it's still cute. It was definitely the coolest thing Mr. A has seen all week.


Since the gold panning wasn't open and I wasn't quite ready to go home yet, I loaded up the kids in the car and kept driving. I wanted to see Oakhurst. But I didn't see anything really special about it. Don't get me wrong--it was cute, but it wasn't fantastic or anything. Maybe it's cuter when you get off the main road, which I couldn't because Mr. A was freaking out about getting lost.

Oakhurst was a bust, but a sign came up that said Bass Lake was only 7 miles up the road. So we kept driving. . .into the Sierra Nevadas. . .a little past Bass Lake and back down again. The smell of the pine trees was fantastic. We rolled the windows down, and it wasn't overwhelming, but every couple of minutes, we would get a strong whiff of pine. Mmmmm. Nice.


Miss A was really excited to have her window rolled down, but we had to take Poodle away from her because Mr. A was irrationally freaking out that she was going to toss the poodle out the window.

It took about an hour to get home from Bass Lake. On the way home, I swerved at a police officer. Cute, huh? So obviously I'm a grandma driver, but I noticed my leg was getting tired because M moved my seat back and I thought it would be better for me to move it up a little. I tried to move it up, but the bar got stuck. Finally, it unlocked, causing the seat to go flying forward. It jolted (and scared) me, causing me to move the wheel. So I corrected quickly, but a police officer was the oncoming traffic. It literally looked like I was swerving at him. Nice. And to top it all off, I had Old Man Backseat Driver Mr. A in the back making sure I wouldn't forget that I had almost "hit" a police officer. :/

All in all, it was a good day for us. I got the last transcript for my Fulbright scholarship, which was a big relief for me. Now just comes the final editing and submission. On top of traveling to SoCal and going to a baby shower this weekend, I've also got to make time to do that.

Laundry, dinner and dishes are waiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment